Holy Monastery of Gregoriou was founded in the 14th century by the ascetic Gregorius. Little is known about the founder
himself, other than that he was the
disciple of the Blessed Gregorius of Sinai.
recovered from the destruction caused by pirates raids in 1500 and fire of 1761
and was re-established with the help
of Orthodox princes, in particular John Stephen the Great, Prince of Moldavia
in who played a leading role and considered to be the second founder of the Monastery.
In 1840 the
monastery became a coenobium. In
1859 Symeon was appointed as the Monastery’s
Abbot.He held office for 46 years and paid off the debts of the Monastery, gave support to the construction of new
buildings. The new katholikon of Gregoriou was
built in 1770 and its carved wooden sanctuary screen was
also installed at that time. The katholikon is dedicated to St Nicholas.
Treasures held within the monastery
The Monastery possesses some 279 manuscripts and
approximately 6,000 printed books, a small part of the True Cross, relics of
saints, sacred vessels and vestments.
Miracle-working icons within the monastery
Our Lady Hodigitria (Pantanassa).
Dedication “a gift of Lady Maria Assasina
Paleologue, the Regent of Moldovia” is still to be found on the icon. The gift
was made by Maria Paleologue upon
the Monastery’s foundation in 1500.
Theotokos is depicted with gentle but sad face, holding 3 year old Jesus. The
icon remained intact during devastating
fires in the Monastery.
Our Lady Galaktotrophousa is XIVth century icon depicting Theotokos
feeding Baby Jesus.