of Koutloumousiou is
located on the north-eastern side of the peninsula, near Karyes. It is sixth in hierarchical rank among the
the existence of the monastery is confirmed by document from 1169 (founded by
the Greek Emperor Alexey Komnin), Koutloumousiou Monastery was founded in its
present form in the 14th century. Its central church was built in 1540. It is
considered to be one of the most magnificent of all the monasteries of Mount Athos.
central church was built in 1540, but there are many chapels associated with
the monastery. The most impressive of these is the chapel of the Protection of
the Mother of God, built in 1733, which is at the left of the eso-narthex of
the central church and contains a wonderworking icon of the Mother of God
holding Christ as a child. Other chapels include St. Natalia, Ss. Kosmas and
Damian, All Saints, St. John the Baptist, the Archangels and St. Spyridon.
library contains 662 manuscript codices and 3500 printed books.
Greek skete of St. Panteleimon belongs
to Koutloumousiou, and is very close by.
within the monastery
icon of Theotokos which is in the chapel of the monastery. The icon depicts
Theotokos holding Baby Jesus in her left hand. On the right side of the icon
there is an Angel holding a cross, a spear and a cane. The prophets are also
Efstathios hand, part of the right leg of St.
Anna (Theotokos mother), St. Marina’s finger, hand and a part of St. Charalampos