Panteleimon Monastery is
a Russian Orthodox Monastery and the largest one on the peninsula. The monastery
was founded by several monks from Kiev Rus in
the 11th century, which is why it is known as
'Rossikon', and traditionally it was
inhabited by Kiev and
later by Russian Orthodox monks. It was
recognized as a separate monastery in 1169. The
monastery prospered in the 16th and
17th centuries being lavishly sponsored by the Tsars of Moscovy, but it declined dramatically in the 18th century to
the point that there were only two Russian and two Bulgarian monks
left by 1730.
construction of the present monastery
on a new site, closer to the seashore,
was carried out during the first two
decades of the nineteenth century, with the financial help of the ruler of
Moldo-Wallachia, Skarlatos Kallimachos. Russian monks numbered 1,000 in 1895, 1,446 in 1903, and more
than 2,000 by 1913. During the Tatar yoke
in Russia, most of the monks were Greeks and Serbs. Today only 35 monks live in the monastery, which occupies the nineteenth rank in the
hierarchical order of the twenty Athonite monasteries.
It is coenobitic. It also contains four sketes. The Monastery of St Panteleimon was
repeatedly gutted by fires, most famously in 1307 (when Catalan pirates
set it on fire) and in 1968.
the monastery features the
architecture of a small town, with buildings of various heights and many domes.
The monastery's katholikon was built between 1812–1821 and is dedicated to St. Panteleimon. It features the same style found in all the Athonite
churches. Aside from the katholikon, the monastery
has many smaller chapels.
held within the monastery
The library contains 1,320 Greek manuscripts and
another 600 Slavonic ones,
as well as
25,000 printed books. In addition it has
a few priceless relics, such as
the head of Saint Panteleimon, a part of a True Cross, the head of Martyr Paraskeva, the relics of the Apostles Luke, Peter, Andrew, Matthew,
well as the relics of Maria
Magdalene, Grigorios Palama, St. Anastasia, St. Ioann (Russian).
Miracle-working icons within the monastery
Our Lady of Jerusalem- the miracle-working icon is located right above the
Tsar’s Gate in the Pokrov Cathedral.
The icon of the Martyr Panteleimon – is an ancient mosaic icon earlier located in the Thessalonica
monastery (current Paliomonastirio).
Nowadays the icon is located in the Pokrov Cathedral. St. Panteleimon is
depicted in his full height holding medical instruments in his hand.