of Simonos Petra is
thirteenth in the hierarchy of the Athonite monasteries.
monastery is located in the southern
coast of the Athos peninsula,
between the Athonite port of Dafni and Osiou
Grigoriou monastery. The
site upon which the monastery is
built is exceptionally harsh. It is built on top of a single huge rock,
practically hanging from a cliff 330 meters over the sea.
monastery is inhabited by 50 monks.
founded during the 13th century by Simon the Athonite. Tradition holds that Simon, while dwelling in a
nearby cave saw a dream in which the Theotokos instructed
him to build a monastery on top of
the rock, promising him that she would protect and provide for him and the monastery.
1364, the Serbian despot Jovan Ugljesa funded
the renovation and expansion of the monastery.
In 1581, Simonopetra was destroyed
by a fire, in which a large portion of the monks died. The most important donor
for monastery’s innovation was Michael the Brave, Prince of Wallachia, who donated large portions of land as well as
money to the monastery. In later
years the monastery was also burnt in 1626 and the last great fire happened in 1891, after which the monastery was
rebuilt to its current form.
monastery consists of several
multi-storied buildings, the main being in the place of the original structure,
built by Simon. The main building has
been described as the "most
bold construction of the peninsula".
held within the monastery
part of the left hand of St. Maria Magdalena, a part of the hand of Martyr
Eudokia, a part of the hand of Martyr Barbara, the head of St. Paul, the relics
of Martyr Panteleimonos, Martyr Paraskeva,
Martyr Charalambos, blood of Saint Demetrius of Thessaloniki
Miracle-working icons within the monastery
Assumption of the Theotokos is in icon painted in the 15th
century presumably in Northern Greece.
Our Lady Pantanassa is a gift of Metropolitan Athanasios painted in the XVIth century. Theotokos is
depicted embracing the child.