Holy Monastery of St. Paul located
in the western part of Mount Athos. It was
founded by St Paul.
In the 14th century the Monastery
was deserted and got the status of a
cell, but by the efforts of the Serbian monks Gerasimus
Radonia and Antonios Pegases it was turned from a cell into a monastery. In the next century St. Paul Monastery received support from John V and John VII
Palaeologus, the Serbian Prince Giour, and his brother Lazarus. Many other
Danubian princes, both Romanian and Greek were the Monastery's
benefactors. The time when the Monastery
flourished during the 17th century was
followed by its decline in the 18th, caused by a shortage of funds caused by
the savage taxation of the Turks. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries,
with the help of the sacristan Grigorios and Archimandrite Anthimos Komninos
the Monastery recovered and was able to pay off its debts.
catastrophes experienced by St. Paul
were a fire in 1902 and a flood in 1911.
has 12 chapels: St George is the Monastery's oldest building, adorned with wall-paintings
belonging to the Cretan School. Subject to St. Paul are the picturesque Nea
Skete and the Romanian Skete of St Demetrius.
The community today consists of some 30 hard-working
Treasures held within the monastery
The gifts of the Three Wise Men, the foot of St
Gregory the Theologian, a piece of the True Cross, sacred vessels, and
vestments. The library contains 494 manuscripts and more than 12,000 printed
icons within the monastery
Our Lady Reflection it is believed that the icon belonged to Theodora, the wife of
Constantinople Emperor Theofil
(829-842). This icon was thrown into
fire by the Emperor who was an
iconoclast but the icon remained
intact. The icon was brought by
Christians to the Holy Mountain, the back side of it is partially burnt.
Our Lady Myrovlitissa the icon was
brought to the Holy Mountain from Constantinople by Reverend Paul. The icon was given it’s name because of it’s ability to shed