|Dormition of the Virgin Mary|
|Wednesday, 10 January 2007|
The skete of the Assumption of the Theotokos is a coenobic one, it belogs to the monastery of St. Panteleimonas.
It is believed that the skete is the oldest Russian cloister in the world founded in the X century by the Druzhinniks (personal bodyguard troops) of St. Olga (the ruler of Kievan Rus) who was baptised in Constantinople.
However there is no precise information about the skete’s founders, whether they were Greeks or Slavs. The fact that The Holy Mountain was initially inhabited by Greeks and Slavs came there much later in XI century confirms that the skete was founded by Greeks. However taking in the consideration the fact that the skete was initially inhabited by Slavs and was later given to their possession makes the assumption of the skete’s Russian origin reliable.
The skete is dedicated to the Assumption of the Theotokos. It’s famous for the Act of the year 1143. On their transfer to the St. Panteleimon monastery the monks asked the athonite elders to reserve the old skete to them because “we become monks here, worked here and guarded the skete and put it in order, our brothers died here”. Their wish was granted and in 1169 they had got the skete in their possession.
In 1820 the katholikon dedicated to St. Ioann of Rila and in 1885 a two-storey cell dedicated to Sts.Cyril and Methodius was constructed.
The skete is currently inhabited by 3 monks.
Treasures kept within the skete
The part of the True Cross, the relics of the Martyrs Eythimios, Akakios, Ignatios, Cyril and Methodius and Panteleimon.